Aircraft are static unless otherwise noted (airworthy means the aircraft can be flown, grounded means the aircraft was airworthy and with some maintenance could be flown again.) Visit the museum to learn more about our collection.
Information about Museum aircraft under restoration (not on display at this time) can be found by visiting the Restoration Centre page.
Here is a list of all our aircraft on display on this page, along with a brief description.
Avro Anson MK II
Ansons were stationed here at Patricia Bay during World War Two and used primarily for training aircrew. The museum’s example is a Mark II that was obtained from the Legion in Fort St. John, British Columbia. Plans are to restore the aircraft in its training markings, in tribute to the thousands of air crew who received instruction on this type.
Bell 47 Helicopter
helicopter was utilized for just about every imaginable task,
from VIP transport to rescue. It even pioneered logging by
helicopter. The museum’s example is a Bell 47 D and
is distinguished by its gold fish bowl canopy. In addition
to providing obviously superb visibility, it enabled the
aircraft to be used in harsh climates. Familiar to television
viewers, it will be remembered as the busy medivac helicopter
from “M*A*S*H 4077”, demonstrating yet another
of its uses. Visit our Museum and learn about this helicopter's
very interesting history.
Bristol Bolingbroke MK IV
museum’s "Boly" is a Mark IV variant and is actually
a composite of two separate aircraft. The restoration was completed
in 1996 and was painted to represent one of the aircraft flown by
#3 Operational Training Unit based here at Patricia Bay during the
Second World War years.
in 1897 by Octave Chanute of Michigan, this type represented
all that was known about the work of European pioneers, such
as Otto Lilienthal who developed an airfoil shaped wing still
in use today. Embodying most of the stability and control
features of today's aircraft, it lacked only a light but
powerful enough engine to achieve fully powered flight. Chanute’s
work greatly influenced the Wright brothers who overcame
Chanute’s problem to become the first men to achieve
sustained powered flight. The aircraft on display is an exact
replica of the 1897 model and was built by Russ Carrington
of Victoria. He donated it to the museum in 1989.
Chipmunk DHC 1-22
in Canada by the De Havilland Company of Canada, the Chipmunk
made its first flight at Downsview, Ontario on May 22, 1946.
The aircraft here at
the museum was manufactured at Chester in England and entered
service with the RAF in 1951. It was declared surplus to
requirements in March 1997 and offered for sale by auction
in London. It was sold to the present owner and BCAM member,
Rob Atton, in May 1997. -- airworthy
Douglas A26 Invader
The museum’s example was donated by Conair Aviation of Abottsford
British Columbia. Conair is a world leader inaerial
fire fighting technology. This particular aircraft is an A-26 B and
the faired over gun ports can be seen in the nose. Upon its retirement
as a water bomber, it was donated to the museum. It was decided to
keep the airplane in its fire fighting configuration. This is in
recognition of the yeoman work done by the airplane in this province.
This is the only water bomber conversion preserved in a museum today.
Eastman E2 Sea Rover
to Canada and British Columbia, and the only example left in
the world, it is one of 18 designed and built by Tom Towle and
Jim Eastman of Detroit Michigan, and one of five used in British
Columbia for many years. The aircraft displayed here has been
restored by using the remains of two Sea Rovers, CF-ASY and CF-ASW.
Fleet Model 2
the Fleet Model 2 is not a true bush aircraft, lacking capacity
and range of that type, it is a good choice to serve as the symbol
of British Columbia aviation. This aircraft CF-AOD, was
flown in the province, from its delivery in 1930, until its retirement
in 1981. At that time it was the oldest active registered aircraft
Gibson Twin Plane
aircraft is one of the most historically significant in Canadian
the first airplane completely designed, built and flown in
Canada, and it happened right here in Victoria. The example
on display is an exact replica. The original engine from the
original Twin Plane forms part of the National Aeronautical
collection in Ottawa.
The example on display is
a 1946 Model 8A and was salvaged from assorted pieces found in South
America and donated to the museum in 1988. BC Airlines, formed by
Bill Sylvester, one of the first commercial airlines on the West
coast, used a similar Silvaire to train its pilots. This restored
airplane represents a little piece of British Columbia Aviation History.
is a 7/8 scale replica of the World War One French built
scout (or fighter as we know them today). This
replica aircraft was built and flown by Mr. Jack Blair. After his
death, Mrs. Blair donated this aircraft to the museum in 1993. -- grounded.
museum’s example is originally a UC-64A bought after
the war by Green Airways in Red Lake, Ontario and re-registered
sold to David Warren of Wrangler Alaska, it was again
re-registered, this time as N538DW.
It ultimately crashed at the Cominco mining site near Bronson
Creek, British Columbia when a wheel detached on landing.
The aircraft insurers wrote the aircraft off as beyond economical
repair and eventually the museum purchased it for scrap value.
This aircraft has
to airworthy standard by museum volunteers, with partial funding
from the Millennium Fund. It
is registered as CF-DRE as the majority of the salvaged parts
for the fusalage came from DRE.
aircraft is a much modified Beechcraft 18. The modifications
to the Beechcraft 18 were done here at the Pat Bay airport by
the Pac Aero Company. The aircraft was lengthened to take a tricycle
landing gear. Two Pratt and Whitney turboprop engines replaced
the radial engines. A large single fin replaced the twin fins
of the original. This large single fin added the needed in-flight
stability in light of the other modifications. Our
Tradewind CF-BCF was once owned by the British Columbia Government
and was extensively used by "flying Phil Galardi” who
was then Minister of Highways. Later sold by the government
to Keewaten Air of Manitoba, it was used as a small airliner.
They subsequently donated the airplane to the museum.
The museum’s example was
built by Bob McDonnel from original plans. Starting in 1978, many
hours went into its construction before its completion in 1984. The
aircraft never flew as Mr. McDonnel suffered a heart attack just
before he was to fly it for the first time. Not wanting anyone else
to fly it, he donated it to the museum in December 1990. -- grounded
in 1978 by Bert Rutan of around the world Challenger fame,
the Quickie is a unique design of Styrofoam, covered
with fiberglass. It weighs only 250 pounds and has a 25 horsepower
engine. This light weight construction gives the Quickie a
speed in excess of 100 mph and its canard design is said to
make it completely stall proof. The museum’s example was built
in Victoria by Fran Benton and donated to the museum in 1995.
Republic RC-3 Seabee
example in the museum is a RC3, serial number 710 and was once
owned by Alaska Coastal Airlines. It was used by that company’s manager
as his personal hunting and fishing aircraft. It was subsequently
purchased by the Norie Brothers Logging, and registered in
Canada as CF-JLC. It was donated to the Museum by Henry & Frank
Norie in 1991. -- grounded
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E. 5A
aircraft is a 7/8 scale replica, partially built by Dennis Mitchell
of Williams Lake, British Columbia. This particular
aircraft was to be powered by a Continental air cooled engine.
The aircraft was intended to fly, but is now a static display
- includes a 7/8 replica of the original 1914 Hispano-Suiza
Engine. More about the Museum's
Sikorsky S-55 dates from late 1949. In June of 1952 the Royal
Canadian Navy took delivery of three Sikorsky S-55s. The RCN
designated this type as HO4S-2. These helicopters were used primarily
as a plane guards during flight operations from the aircraft
carriers They were responsible for saving the lives of many aircrew
who crashed at sea during carrier operations.
The restoration is almost complete, with a few parts still missing.
It is painted in Royal Canadian Navy Colours, and is now serving
as our gate guard.
fully powered ultralite embodies all the aerodynamic controls of
a full size airplane, but is intended to provide a low cost simple
flying experience. The Skyseeker in the museum has fabric covered
wings and tail surfaces. -- grounded
Spitfire 3/4 Scale Replica
Noren started building this 3/4 scale replica of the famous
World War II fighter aircraft, the Spitfire. It was going to
be a flying replica, however, Bob was unable to complete the
project due to his untimely death at age 41. The unfinished
project was donated to the Museum as a memorial. The replica
was completed by volunteers from 443 Squadron.
aircraft reside at the museum from time to time. As these are not
permanent residents, they are not listed here. Visit the museum
to see the ever changing displays.